Monday 6 June 2011

Simplicity 2424 - another go at knit!

I can't let it beat me, I just can't!  So here we go again...  This time with a double knit, which I find easier to work with. 


I made the red cardigan


Before Betty came to the rescue, I used Jennifer to make this, and boy did we struggle.  She really does not like knit.  Skipped stitches, blah, blah, blah.  Thank goodness this was a simple cardigan to make so we got through it in the end!

I cut a size 14, made a small sway back adjustment and added my usual 1" to the sleeve upper arm.  I didn't worry about doing any other alterations - it's a cardigan for goodness sake!  I did use some stay tape at the shoulder, but other than that it's just front, back, band and sleeves. 


It was super easy to make and looks great with Butterick 5147!

Watch this space - there's more to come.  I set myself a goal yesterday, and have almost succeeded!

Happy Monday everyone!

6 comments:

Bella said...

...and doesn't that look just gorgeous!
Very nice seaming and it sits flat against the body.
May I ask if the fabric has a name and fiber content? I'm on the lookout for something with a "cotton" feel to it, and there's nothing locally so I have to buy online.

CGCouture said...

Very nice! Soon you'll be sewing so many knits you'll be neglecting your poor wovens. :-)

Pin Queen said...

Hi Jemajo
The fabric is a poly viscose and lycra blend. I was suprised when I checked this, because I thought it had cotton in it! It's lovely and soft, with a bit of weight, and hangs beautifully. The best thing is it didn't alter during the pre-launder either! I got it from a shop in Wootton Bassett in Wiltshire called Cloth of Gold.

Bella said...

Poly viscose and lycra blend that feels like cotton and washes perfectly!
Does it get any better than that?
Thanks for the info - I'll remember that when I'm shopping.

sew vala said...

On a slight tangent, I have been looking for Threads and Burda magazines that I have heard you talk about. Can I ask where you buy them. I can't seem to find them. Cheers

Bella said...

Hi Sew Vala,
Threads magazine is available from :
http://www.taunton.com/threads/pages/th_currentissue.asp

and Burda magazine is available from:
http://www.uniquemagazines.co.uk/magazine-subscriptions-708/subscribe-to-burda-world-of-fashionburda-style-magazine-subscription (I'm sure there are others, but I see from your profile that you are in the UK, and this seemed the most likely source.

Thread comes in the post to me before it's even on the stands in the US. Pretty impressive when you consider that I live in Norway. I highly recommend it as well! It is so informative and the techniques are outstanding.

I haven't seen Burda magazines up here for sale, but the Burdastyle.com site has a lot of their patterns up for purchase and download, plus endless goodies as well!

Hope this helps!