Tuesday 8 November 2011

McCalls M5913

Due to the lack of sewing around here sewing lately, I thought I would share something I made last year, which kept me beautifully warm during the very cold winter we had.

McCalls 5913
I think it's the first time I've ever been "fashion forward", no one really passed comment on it last year, but this year everyone wants to know where I bought it. (Honestly, when will people get it - I SEW!)

I made the red one pictured above, with the belt holes and belt.  I got the fabric from Fabulous Fabrics in Ashby de la Zouch around 18 months ago, including the lining, which is a Paul Smith cotton.  To make it really warm and cosy I added a flannel interlining.


The pattern isn't lined, but I didn't like the thought of that so cut lining and interlining to the same pattern pieces and omitted the facings.  I put the interlining to the main fabric and treated as one.  As that made the fabric heavy and quite thick, I didn't want to worry about turn of cloth so so rather than sew everything together and turn through (like bagging the lining) I hemmed the bottom with self made bias binding.


I love this pattern so much I made view A for my sister 2 Christmases ago, and because she loves it so much made her another longer one last Christmas - no she won't be getting another one this year!


This is one pattern that I will be keeping - I  L O V E  capes and have just bought another pattern from the 1970's on Etsy - watch this space (but don't hold your breath because I have SO much I want to do first...)

9 comments:

Karin said...

It's fab! You're right. Capes are suddenly all the rage right now. I like the belt on this one. I think it keeps it under control in a good way.

Irene said...

What a wonderful cape! Love the fabric.

CGCouture said...

This pattern catches my eye every time I go to my favorite fabric store, but for some reason I haven't bought it yet. I like your fabric choices--very cool!

shams said...

Beautiful cape! Yes, I am seeing them everywhere, but none as gorgeous as yours!! That fabric is amazing!

Eugenia said...

Great job - I love all the beautiful details! A cape will definitely stand you in good stead this season - I am really enjoying wearing the one that I made recently.

AllisonC said...

Gorgeous cape, the pattern on it's own is pretty cool but your fabric makes it really special.

sew vala said...

I love your fabric choice. I have this pattern bought for my daughter as yet she still can't decide on a fabric.

House of Pinheiro said...

This is so charming

Zeseindia said...

ZESE is focused towards Perfection, Quality and building up a bond between the garment manufacturers and the end users, in the one world of Textiles.
http://www.zeseindia.com/

Lining and Interlining Manufacturers