Sunday 24 July 2011

A long time friend in need....

Sally and I have been friends for over 35 years.  We've dipped in and out of our friendship, as true friends do.  She's always "just been there" and one day last week I thought she looked a little unloved and slightly scruffy in her brown velvet jumpsuit, sitting on my sofa in the sewing room.

I know, I'll make her something new to wear.  Well, it's the least I could do after all these years of friendship.  I started with some lingerie made from the finest handkerchief lawn (incl knickers, but Sally is a lady and didn't want to show those to the world) and put a bow in her hair ....


Next up, a new dress.  I made a special trip to the fabric shop for this pretty cotton.  Well, she deserved it....


And I have tied a new piece of ribbon around her dummy.  That used to be around her neck with a piece of red wool....

Doesn't she look pretty?  I'm working on a lilac coat and bonnet next, but keep it a secret, I don't want her to find out until end of August because I think that's when her birthday is.

Sally is, of course, my 1976(ish) tiny tears.  I still have the original dress but lost her bottle years ago.  Anyway at 35+ she doesn't want to cry and wet herself anymore.  Her hair is very matted after years of Sunday baths but she still closes both eyes when she lays down.  I loved her so much and took her everywhere.  There is a photo of us up the mountain in the Isle of Man (very exotic childhood holidays in the 1970's).  I still love her to this day, but just neglected her for a little while.

Her best friend is Gillian.  Gillian lives with my sister and is approx the same age.  She is a teeny tiny tears and is wearing a knitted ensemble from my great auntie Phyllis from approx 1978.  Maybe it's Gillian's turn next?

I hope you aren't neglecting anyone important in your life?

3 comments:

Irene said...

Sally's ensemble looks amazing! Sometimes it does one good to sew something for a friend.

sew vala said...

When I was a child I had two dolls, One was given to me on my first birthday, she was also called Sally. And the other I got later which was also a tiny tears. Sadly when I was a teenager I gave them away. Something I dearly regret. However I do still have my teddy bear Timmy, he's a bit flat now even after countless stuffing and re-sewing. Mind you he is over 40 now. Thank you for sharing your treasured child hood doll.

Anonymous said...

she's beautiful! the clothing is adorable thank you for sharing.