Sunday 12 December 2010

Book Review: The Dressmaker's Handbook of Couture Sewing Techniques

Dressmakers Handbook of Couture Sewing Techniques
Lynda Maynard

I placed a pre-order via Amazon for this book 21st August as a birthday present to myself hoping it would arrive early September.  It arrived yesterday...
When I first flicked through it I was a bit disappointed to be honest.  Mmm, how to apply bias neck edges, sewing a hem with a twin needle, using cotton lawn as an interlining - nothing new.  The photographs are very good in places, but in others they are hard to understand because you see a small section with no reference - ie hands, thimble etc. 
Then I looked at it again about an hour ago (after first-phase Christmas clean!).  It is a good book.  From discussion about quality fabrics, through to cording, couture cuffs and my favorite, silk organza bubble hems.
I would recommend it if you are at a stage where you want to improve your sewing techniques, but if you already know how to use interlinings, horsehair braid, bindings, single-thread and balanced darts etc then I'd give it a miss.  If I had seen the book in a shop I don't think I would have bought it, however now I have it it's a keeper and I am sure it will pick it up every now and again.
6/10

1 comment:

Irene said...

Personally, I hesitate to purchase books online unless I've actually seen them in person. All too often the cover looks wonderful, but in reality it's not what you think. Mind you, I think that any books with pictures make for great inspiration, even if the actual substance is not quite up to snuff.